Thursday, December 22, 2011

Day 22: Italian Wedding Cookies


Another late night post. Whenever I come home, I suddenly lose complete track of time. With family plans, running errands (especially during the holiday buzz), and this time unpacking my life, the time just sort of slips away. All of a sudden it's 10pm and I still have to make today's batch of cookies! I know, I know...this is totally optional, all by choice. But, I always relate to Julie & Julia when Julie has the dilemma of whether or not to continue her blogging extravaganza during all of the hullaballoo she went through - her mom didn't believe in her and eventually told her to quit (not true in my case), she got into HUGE fights with her hubby over focusing too much attention on the blog (hubby? what hubby?), work conflicts, blah blah blah...but she kept going! And so will I...there are only 3 days left, I already know what my final cookie will be (I know, it's killing you...), and I have really enjoyed making this commitment day after day. Baking is something I love, and I love being able to share this joy with all of you, so...I will press on!!! And today (night) I give you the Italian Wedding Cookie...in honor of the many lovely and hilarious conversations I've had about this upcoming venture to Italy and all that it might possibly entail...if you have to ask, you'll never know...
Italian Wedding Cookies
makes about 3 dozen

  • 3/4 cups Earth Balance vegan butter
  • 1/4 cup + 2 TBS powdered sugar
  • 3/4 cups ground almonds
  • 1/2 TBS vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 325F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Cream butter in large stand mixer (perk of baking in my parents' kitchen). Slowly add 1/4 cup + 2 TBS powdered sugar until well combined. Add ground almonds and vanilla extract and mix well. Gradually add flour add mix until thoroughly combined (I left the mixer going on medium-low speed the whole time I was adding ingredients, then just mushed it together with my hands a bit). Scoop out by half tablespoon, roll into balls in the palms of your hands, and place onto baking sheets about an inch or two apart. Bake at 325F for 15 minutes. Remove and let cool, then roll in powdered sugar. Buon appetito! 

No comments:

Post a Comment