Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 14: Rice Nog Cookies!!

That's right. Rice Nog. Nog for those who cannot have dairy. Nog for those who maybe don't want to drink something as thick and...weird as eggnog. The idea came when I asked my roommates for ideas about what kind of cookies I should make. Sara's series of responses included "something peperminty!! something ginger bready!! something egg noggy!!! something candy caney!! something tastey!!!!"

So I saw that and wondered if it was possible to make an "egg noggy!!!!" cookie? So I hit the food blog payment and found a few recipes for eggnog cookies. However, with the girls in the house who are lactose intolerant, I wanted to make sure this cookie was something everyone could try. Which led me to the idea of using RiceNog instead! It's a lot more mild than eggnog, kind of tastes like Horchata, but not as watery. Also, by adding a little nutmeg to the mix it really brings out the eggnog-y flavor. That's right I said eggnog-y...things like this happen in the Moor House...

Rice Nog Cookies
makes about 7 dozen (crazy, I know)

  • 1 cup Earth Balance vegan butter, softened
  • 1 cup organic cane sugar
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 cup Rice Nog
  • 3 cups Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free flour mix
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
Rice Nog Icing

  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 5 TBS Rice Nog
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
Cream butter and sugar together with hand mixer. Add the egg whites and beat together. Then add the Rice Nog and thoroughly mix. Sift in the Gluten Free Flour mix, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg. Mix all ingredients until just combined. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop dough by rounded half tablespoons onto baking sheet. Bake one sheet at a time for 10-12 minutes. For the icing, mix all three ingredients with hand mixer and refrigerate until ready to use. Cool cookies for 2-3 minutes then drizzle with icing and serve! I hear artists really like them...



Roomie Reactions...
Megan: "I like that they are light and don't have a heavily sweet flavor!"
Jamie: "I think it kind of tastes like Christmas, because it has Christmas seasonings in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment