Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Day 21: Eskimo Cookies

After a looong day of driving, a lovely nap, and the first of several Christmas celebrations, I still had to make today's cookies. I almost bailed..."I can make two tomorrow!" I thought. But then I remembered the commitment I made at the beginning and knew I had to complete the task, so I went with an easy classic that I've almost got memorized. My mom grew up with these, and the recipe comes from her old Betty Crocker for Kids cookbook from 1955. It's a lovely little paperback book with the classic pictures of children baking and playing in the kitchen (I'll upload a picture of it tomorrow). They are a no-bake recipe that you can make ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator until ready to eat. The original recipe calls for rolling the finished cookies in powdered sugar, but I decided to give them a little holiday twist and roll half of them in crushed candy canes - I haven't tried one yet, but they smelled delightfully winter-y! My mom tried one and said it was good, but she isn't a huge fan of mint and prefers the classics. This will definitely be a recipe I pass on to my chilluns someday, Lord willing I am blessed with a family too! Enjoy!

Eskimo Cookies
makes about 3 dozen

  • 3/4 cup Earth Balance vegan butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 TBS water
  • 3 TBS cocoa powder
  • 2 cups oats
  • optional for rolling: crushed candy cane or powdered sugar (my mom suggested espresso too)
Place softened butter in a large bowl and beat until creamy. Pour in sugar and beat well. Add vanilla, water, and cocoa powder and mix until thoroughly combined. Finally, stir in oats. Place bowl in refrigerator and allow to set for a couple of hours, if not overnight. When firm, remove from fridge and roll into 1 inch diameter balls, then roll in candy canes or powdered sugar. Lastly...EAT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment