Wednesday, September 21, 2011

a quiet morning on the moor front

Getting up at 6am has its benefits. It's still quiet inside the Moor House because no one else is awake and it's dark outside; which means I get to see the misty grey morning that has been greeting us frequently here in so-Cal. It makes me feel like fall is really here, even though it ends up being around 80-something degrees by noon with the sun a-shining brightly. I've already divulged about how much I love fall so I won't get into it again, except to say that we received a Disney family magazine yesterday that had costume ideas...my fall craving was spurred even more. Oh and my mom told me the other day that the leaves were starting to change colors back home...killing me a little bit.

But in all seriousness, this morning's breakfast was inspired purely by this deep craving for REAL fall weather - we're talking Autumn in New York status. And by the fact that I have a bag of quinoa that needs to be eaten. I know quinoa doesn't expire technically, but when this bag has been staring at me every time I've gone to the pantry for the last seven few months (give or take), I start to feel bad for those cute little seedlings. And so, I give you Chai Apple Spice Breakfast Quinoa. 

I bought some chai spice from Mohini Indian Fusions at the Modesto Certified Farmer's Market while I was home this summer and it was one of the best investments. Home made chai is so much better than store bought, pre-made chai. And I get to use this lovely concoction of spices to flavor up anything I want - I wouldn't recommend putting the loose spices in coffee though, not so fun drinking little chunks of the stuff. But it's perfect in this breakfast quinoa. The combination of the apples natural sweetness when warmed and the distinct spice of the chai creates a beautiful image of spiced apple cider from the crockpot that my mom makes around Christmas time...yep that's it. That's the warmth that I'm enjoying this morning, I hope you do too...

Chai Apple Spice Breakfast Quinoa (single serving)

Cooking the quinoa...
  • 1/4 cup dry quinoa
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
Place quinoa in a saucepan with milk. Turn heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. When it boils, turn heat down to very low, cover and let simmer for 13-15 minutes. After this time is done remove from heat, keep covered and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove cover and fluff with fork prior to serving. Meanwhile....

Chai Spiced Apples...
  • 1 medium apple of choice (I used Fuji) diced
  • 1 tsp. chai spice mix (the mixture I use has fennel, ginger powder, cloves and cardamom)
  • drizzle of agave syrup
Finely dice apple and place in a small microwaveable bowl. Add 1 tsp. of spice mix and drizzle agave on top. Heat in microwave for about 30 seconds. Remove and stir, then heat for an additional 30 seconds. Stir and when quinoa is done cooking, pour on top of apple mixture. Mix the whole thing together and enjoy with warm beverage of choice, preferably on a cool, foggy/misty autumn morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment