Thursday, September 15, 2011

let's play catch up...

Oy! It's been way too long since the last post - I guess I'm still getting used to this whole blog thing. However, now my mom and dad have read this and think I'm a really clever writer (insert curtsy and bow here). And my mom really wants this cake recipe I just tried so I think it's about time to share it!

It really was a delightful cake - once again inspired by Roost (that word looks really funny after you look at it for awhile). I had been wanting to try this recipe for her Harvest Cake with Vanilla Cream, but had been a little put off with the late summer here in SoCal. I mean honestly, who wants to be in a kitchen baking something all warm and autumnal when it's a gajillion degrees outside?? No one. Period.

But it had finally cooled off a bit and I needed a dessert to take to an event that the sorority I was in, in college (so weird to talk about it past tense) - Alpha Delta Chi, the only (and most awesome I might add) Christ-centered sorority. I love these girls and being a part of this sisterhood is such a blessing! But anyways, I decided to try this Harvest Cake. One particular plus is that it is made with almond flour and therefore gluten free - woo!!! It's not your typical cake recipe - especially not for a sorority event with a group who looooves desserts - but it got rave reviews and I am definitely going to make it again for my roomies. I didn't have all of the ingredients for the Vanilla Cream, so I made a caramel sauce that I would normally use for caramel corn (recipe for that coming this weekend - be excited) and it was delicious! The caramel caramelized (go figure) on top of the cake, and then soaked into the cake making it extremely moist. Also, I just learned that almond flour/meal makes whatever you use it in more moist than regular flour so the combination of the two was dee-vine! The addition of the grated carrot, zucchini, and apple and cinnamon makes the cake so perfectly fall-y it was nearly impossible to resist. So, as autumn FINALLY approaches, celebrate with this cake. Oh and did I mention that it won't be a kickstart to the downward spiral that is holiday baking? Yeah, I knew that would help....

Harvest Cake with Caramel Sauce
adapted from Roost Harvest Cake with Vanilla Cream

  • 3 cups almond flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp.
  • 1/2 salt
  • 1 1/2 cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil 
  • 1/4 cup raw agave syrup
  • 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 cup grated carrot
  • 1 cup grated zucchini 
  • 1 cup chopped apple
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper. Place chunked carrot and zucchini in food processor to grate. Roughly chop apple. Set these ingredients aside. In a bowl combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients (including carrot, zucchini, and apple). Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir to incorporate. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

Caramel Sauce
  • 1/2 cup butter (we use Earth Balance in my house - vegan friendly)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup raw agave syrup
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda 
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is mostly melted, add brown sugar, agave and salt. Bring to a boil, making sure sugar is completely melted. Boil for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add baking soda and vanilla; stir. The sauce will start to get frothy as you stir in the baking soda and vanilla. Once everything is incorporated, pour the sauce directly on top of the cake. Allow to sit before serving so the caramel has a chance to soak into the cake and caramelize on top. Enjoy with a cup of tea and crackling fire place...

Sister Reactions:
Megan- "Oh my gosh Lauren, you need to make this like, all the time."
Bethany- "Oh wow, that's really good."

P.S.- Happy Birthday to our dear sister Jamie aka Periwinkle!!! This was her birthday cake, and since I won't see her today I hope she has an incredibly blessed day. I love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment