Saturday, September 17, 2011

my little pumpkin...

Now that there have been a couple of days in a row with fall weather, I decided to officially make my first pumpkin recipe. You have to understand that I don't mess around when it comes to pumpkin - I will probably go through at least 10 cans of it and a couple of whole ones before winter ends. And why wouldn't you!?! It's delicious, it screams fall, it's beautiful, it fills the entire house with the smell of autumn and spice and love and warmth...I could go on, but I won't because I'm sure you understand.

So, to start off this beautiful and finally fall season (that will probably disappear in a couple of weeks knowing southern California...boo) I whipped up a batch of my very own (the Moor House's very own) pumpkin syrup. For use in coffee - at home pumpkin spice lattes? Yes, please. Or for the non-coffee drinkers, as an ice cream or pancake (more likely for crepes courtesy of our very own Stina) topping, soy pumpkin steamer, etc... It's pumpkin, it's delicious, it'll be gone in about a week. Make it now or forever hold your peace...

Pumpkin Spice Syrup
adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride

  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 TBS ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 3 TBS pumpkin puree
Over medium heat, combine water and sugar until the mixture is completely clear. Stir in remaining ingredients and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Do NOT let mixture come to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Strain mixture through a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer into container of your choice (it looks divine in a mason jar). Syrup will keep in the refrigerator for awhile. Enjoy in whatever form suits your fancy - close eyes, breath in deeply and feel the fall all around you...

No comments:

Post a Comment