Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dinner for Breakfast...

Megan came back up to Modesto with me yesterday...so much better when someone does the 5 and a half hour drive with you! My mom had asked what we wanted for dinner and I suggested spaghetti squash with a pesto sauce. We had salmon marinated in a yummy Braggs and ginger marinade - which doesn't necessarily go with pesto, but was delicious! Oh and of course a salad on the side. But we had plenty of spaghetti squash leftover and it is possibly one of my favorite foods ever, so I thought I'd incorporate it into breakfast. I don't know what it is, but when people are here as guests I go into bed and breakfast Lauren mode...I already have lunch planned..it's lookin' really good.

As for breakfast, I used the spaghetti squash as a sort of hash and made scrambled eggs with Italian seasoning (went a lot better with the pesto). It was quite good if I do say so myself (Megan did too, with very little force)! So here's the recipe...enjoy!

Spaghetti Squash Hash with Italian Scrambled Eggs
Serves 2

1/2 spaghetti squash
1 TBS Italian seasoning
1/4 cup pesto
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 TBS Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 400F. With half of spaghetti squash, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning. Roast at 400F for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool to touch. Remove flesh from skin and mix with pesto, olive oil, and pine nuts.

Heat saucepan over medium heat. Place squash mixture in saucepan. Heat until slightly browned. Meanwhile, heat another saucepan over low heat and melt 1 TBS butter. Break eggs and egg whites into saucepan and sprinkle with the other tablespoon of Italian seasoning. Scramble over low heat until completely cooked. Divide squash hash (that's fun to say...) between two plates, and serve eggs on top. Enjoy with a nice warm cup of joe (we had some delicious Kona blend..mmmm...)

Former Roomie Reaction...

Megan: "I really liked it and I've only had spaghetti squash a couple of times, but never thought to use it as a breakfast food. It was really good!"

No comments:

Post a Comment