Wednesday, October 26, 2011

lift, tone, and burn free spiced carrot bread

I have to thank two people in this post...

  1. Lisa Maris for bringing me carrots fresh from her garden and inspiring this baking venture.
  2. The lovely Stina for waking me up from a nap with her sweet smile and Ray LaMontagne and, "I'm ready for you to wake up now. I want to play, but everyone is napping!" It was time to play, and this is the game that came out of it...


Vegan Spiced Carrot Bread
  • 3 cups almond meal/flour
  • 2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 TBS cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 1/2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup raw agave syrup
  • 1/4 coconut oil
  • 3 cups fresh carrots, grated
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup walnuts
Preheat oven to 325F and line two loaf pans with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine almond meal/flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a smaller bowl combine mashed bananas, agave, and oil. Stir in carrots, raisins, and walnuts. Then, stir wet ingredients into dry. Pour batter into the two pans, dividing evenly. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top of both loaves. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool to room temperature and serve...however you want! My morning is going to involve this bread warmed with some raw almond butter...mmmmmm....
The almond flour makes the bread so moist, it's insane. The original recipe also called for eggs instead of bananas, but I wanted to make it vegan and slightly healthier. Also, once the bread is baked, the taste of carrot is a lot more subtle, but just enough to notice. It's a wonderful fall baked good and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!

Roomie Reactions:
Stina- "I like how many flavors are in it - it's so full!"
Mady- "It's really moist. So yummy!"
Megan- "It's just the right amount of sweet. I don't normally like carrot cake, but this is good."
Jess- "It was super yummy! It's a healthy dessert - like a breakfast bread!"

No comments:

Post a Comment