Tuesday, October 11, 2011

another misty morning...

Today's fall reminder was fog. Lovely, gray, misty, moist fog - I bet you don't hear people talk so fondly of fog very often? That's ok...poor fog needs a little love every now and then. I love these mornings at work before anyone else gets here, and I can sit quietly without hearing "I'm sexy and I know it" techno-ing in the studio. I like to bring my breakfast with me to work so I don't feel rushed as I slam it down before heading out. Today however, this oatmeal would have been much more appetizing right off of the stove rather than the lukewarm glob it is now as it sits in the tupperware on the desk....yum.

In all seriousness, it is "yum." Oatmeal is one of those breakfasts that I forget about easily, but every time I make it I'm reminded once again of the warm comfort that comes from the steaming bowl of oats fresh off the stove. And, you can mix anything in it - this morning's choice? A sort of Spicy PB&J Oatmeal. I know, it sounds weird. Especially the spicy part, right? But trust me and keep going...

The spice- go back and visit the Chai Apple Spice Breakfast Quinoa post and get out the Mohini Indian Fusions Chai Spice


The "PB"- really, it should be "AB" because I used Almond Butter instead of Peanut Butter

The "J"- chopped dates

So now that you now the lovely blend of ingredients we can move on to the assembly...

Spicy AB&J Oatmeal
(makes 1 serving)

Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat and add 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 tsp. chai spice. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add almond butter, chopped dates and flax meal. Stir occasionally for another 5 minutes (or until cooked to desired texture). Remove from heat and let stand for about 2 minutes before serving. Pour into your favorite bowl and enjoy with a warm cup of tea - a nice hot homemade chai would be delightful with this! 

Roommate Reactions: 
Mady- (as I was stirring in the almond butter) "Mmmmmmm..."
no one else was up, but I think they would have liked it...

* For another great food blog by a former Moor Girl, visit All Owls Think A Lot by Nicki Hauth...she's fantastic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment