Thursday, October 20, 2011

christening the crock pot...

It's officially time - tonight marks the season's first crock pot recipe! I love crock pot meals. I mean who doesn't? You put it in, leave it, and eat it. Done and done. So, in honor of it almost being Halloween and ignoring the fact that there were two days that were over 90F last week (which my allergies loved..blah), I am currently waiting for the first crock pot recipe of fall 2011. Are you ready for this? 3 Bean and Pumpkin Chili...

3 Bean and Pumpkin Chili

  • 1 TBS olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion
  • 3 15oz. cans beans (I used pinto, kidney, and black)
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 7oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1 6oz. can tomato puree
  • 1 TBS cumin
  • 2 TBS instant coffee
  • a couple dashes of chili powder (or to taste)
  • 2 TBS raw agave syrup
  • 1 TBS cocoa powder
  • 1 small pie pumpkin
In a medium saucepan, heat oil. When hot, add chopped onions and saute until translucent. Place the onions in the crock pot. Add remaining ingredients, except pie pumpkin. Stir and mix and turn on to low. Cook on low for at least 8 hours. To roast the pumpkin, preheat oven to 400F. Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out seeds. Slice into crescents about 1 inch thick, brush with olive oil and bake on lined baking sheet for 20-25 minutes. When pumpkin is done, cut into large cubes and stir into chili just before serving. Garnish with whatever the heck you want to garnish with - cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, cornbread...

Roomie Reactions...
Stina: Oh my gosh Lauren your chili is so good!
Jamie: Wow..that's so good!
Sara: I hope nobody likes it - you should tell everyone that it doesn't taste good, so that there's lots of leftovers for us.

I made this for my church Life Group and the crock pot was scraped clean by the end of the night...sorry Sara, but I promise, there will be more!

1 comment:

  1. Making more for my Bible study potluck!


    ...and to feed to Sara
    <3 Anonymous Stina

    ReplyDelete