Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mi Piace Il Cioccolato

This is what I learned tonight. My new friend Silvano Melli taught me how to say "I love chocolate" while I was licking clean the teaspoonful of the local version of Nutella he handed me. I think I'm in love...
Tonight was designated as the "do your homework" and "reflect on things" night. My room was not sufficient - too stifling. The lobby wouldn't work either - too many people. So, I went to this place...
Silvano (the owner) was the only one there. He was looking at the newspaper when I walked in, I ordered "una cioccolato" and sat down. He brought out the cioccolato, piping hot, and I proceeded to begin some homework stuff. But Silvano had other plans...he then brought out a little saucer of chocolates. They were like the little round chocolates you'd use to bake with. The homework took a turn for the cioccolato... 

We tried to talk to each other, but with limited language similarities it was un peu difficile and didn't last long. Nessun problema! I continued journaling about chocolate and he turned to the TV. Apparently something was wrong..or he was being indecisive because he got out the paper TV guide and started punching in various numbers in the scroll of lists on the TV. Finally, he decided on a show or movie that I think was originally in English, but had been dubbed over with Italian - think Bruce Lee Goes to Italy. As I finished up my thoughts and observations (see...I did get something done) he went behind the counter and brought out a jar. He pointed to the jar, said something in Italian, grabbed a teaspoon and walked over to where I was seated. The contents of the jar were "cioccolato e nocciola" - basically a local version of Nutella. Oh la la, la la... He then proceeded to open the jar, revealing an untouched lagoon of hazelnut chocolate, dip the teaspoon into the abyss, and hand me this little gift. I had just been spoon fed cioccolato e nocciola by Silvano of Bar della Fontana.... 

This is the inspiration I needed. Jenn Goss (one of our teachers) spoke a word over Cheryl (our dance teacher) today. It was "eat more chocolate." I agree. It does wonders. Especially when it's with an old man named Silvano...

No comments:

Post a Comment