Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Welcome to Fall...in Winter

Again, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for being absent for so long. I'm sorry for neglecting this delightful project that seems to have gotten much less attention than it deserves in the last few months...tragedy I tell you...

So, what's new? Well, I'm heading to Italy on January 25 for (hopefully) 6 months. The original plan of being on staff for the second OM Arts School of Mission (Incarnate 2013) has changed as the decision was made to postpone the school for one year. As of now it looks like I will be helping the ministry Marco is involved in get off the ground as they start up the Italy branch of the organization (to find out more go to their website here...SRS Online). Then from there only God knows...which is kind of comforting in a weird, out of control, trusting someone else with your life kind of way. Good thing the Someone I'm trusting is also the Someone who made me so at least He knows me pretty well...

Things with Marco are moving along just swimmingly. He spent the month of September here in California...in my house with my parents and I. I was dancing most of the month which meant he spent A LOT of time with my parents. Turns out it wasn't such a bad thing ;)

After September my thoughts of things calming down were proven ridiculously incorrect and things just kept going. I started working at a lovely home decorating store called Portico with some dear friends of mine, Emma and Sarah Grover, kept dancing, and starting choreography for the SONdance Christmas show. The show was this weekend and it went really well. The students worked so hard and totally rocked! It has been an amazing experience being a part of this family of people who are passionate about dance and using their gifts to praise the One who gave them these gifts to begin with.

I haven't had a ton of time to cook or bake lately and I have really missed it. My creative drive is at an all time low right now, which really bums me out. But, I do have a couple of recipes that I have been meaning to share...since October...

Live Granola
makes a lot of servings
I adapted this recipe from Elana's Pantry Granola recipe...

  • I used 1 cup of raw walnuts instead of macadamia nuts

Other than that change, follow her recipe and enjoy however you want! 

Apple-Pearsauce
also makes a lot of servings
  • about 2-3lbs of apples and pears, chopped (I used fuji and bosc)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
(these are all rough estimations as I combined a couple of different recipes)
In a large saucepan or pot combine all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it begins to boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender and process until the texture is uniform, but not completely liquified. Store in an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze and store in the freezer for a couple of months. 

I combined the granola with warmed up apple-pearsauce for breakfast on several occasions and it was delicious-ly fall-like...
Now...onto winter...


No comments:

Post a Comment